Improve easy-of-use when moving or copying a plug-in from a track to another with a different number of channels:
- if the destination track have fewer channels, automatically convert the plug-in format, for example:
- when moving from a stereo to a mono track, convert "multichannel" to "mono" or "multi-mono" to "mono" (in this case keep Left settings, drop right settings -- or even ask which channel settings to keep)
- when moving from quad, 5.1 or similar to a stereo track: convert "multichannel" (greater than stereo) to "multichannel" (stereo) by keeping L/R channels; convert "multi-mono" (greater than stereo) to "multi-mono" (stereo) with the same criteria.
- if the destination track are more channels, convert "mono" to "multichannel" instead of "mono" to "multi-mono". Multichannel format is more common.
This can be done automatically in most cases or showing a dialog:
- to warn the user that some channel settings will be dropped;
- to ask the user which channel settings have to be kept.